If you are thinking of listing, call anyone...
If you are thinking of selling, Call the Lindsays!
Home Staging Tips
In Ottawa we seem to jump straight from winter to summer. Spring pops in and out but is hardly a significant season in comparison to the harsh winter that comes before it. Houses take a beating from the cold weather. The salt and dampness that result from frigid temperatures and snow chip away at paint on doors, shutters, windows and decks. Patio furniture, left outside during the winter, looks old and worn out from the abuse. Now is the time to assess the exterior of your home and prepare it for sunny days of lazing around and warm nights dining alfresco.
Summers in Ottawa are to be enjoyed with the weather hot and the city in close proximity to lakes and cottage country this is a wonderful place to be during the warm summer months.
Get your home summer ready now so that June, July and August can be dedicated to relaxation.
- Hire a window cleaning company to clean your windows as early as they can schedule you in, be sure they clean around sills and door frames too.
- Clean exterior light fixtures that collect dirt throughout the winter.
- Asses patio furniture. Try cleaning with gentle cleansers first but often dirt is so ground in no matter how hard you scrub, stains won't go away. If the furniture can be painted then make this a weekend project, if not consider buying some new pieces. Check out stores like Home Sense for great deals on outdoor furniture.
- Go through the garage and toss out all chipped, cracked or broken flower pots. I seem to collect dozens of these each year! Freshen up your patio and front steps with bold new pots.
- Add some black earth to the garden to give a richer look to the soil.
- Take down the winter door wreath and add one with berries or spring flowers to breathe life to the outside of the house that still looks drab from winter.
- Polish door knockers and handles, if the old ones are rusty consider replacing them. Check out some architectural antique stores for some interesting door knockers.
- This may be the time of year to replace garbage cans which have been chewed by animals or banged up through rough handling.
- Paint or stain the fence, or consider hiring a student for this job.
- Don't rush the season by putting fake flowers in outdoor pots or window boxes!
Summer will be here soon enough.
For more useful tips, visit
MaryDave.com. You can also write to me and share your ideas and suggestions about home renovation, decorating and more!